Director of the Manfred and Penny Conrad Institute for Music Therapy Research (CIMTR)
Dr. Heidi Ahonen (www.heidiahonen.net), received a PhD from Joensuu University (1998), Finland, and an MA from the University of Helsinki (1990). Heidi worked at the North Karelia Polytechnic, Finland (1990-2001) and established their music therapy training programme prior to moving to Canada in 2001, She also trained music therapists at Sibelius Academy, Finland (1990-2002), and psychotherapists at the Finnish Mental Health Association, Psychotherapy Institute (1999-2005). Since 1990, Heidi has lectured and conducted experiential workshops in the health care community and various Universities in both Europe and North-America.Most recently, Heidi has conducted Vicarious Trauma Workshops around the globe.
Heidi’s research program covers a wide range of qualitative music psychotherapy research, i.e. Group Analytic Music Therapy, and clinical improvisation, and evidence-based Music Medicine research, i.e. low frequency sound wave research (www.musicmedicinecollaboration.com). Heidi’s research projects have covered various clinical populations i.e. PTSD, psychological trauma, depression, burn-out, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and Vibromyalgia. Heidi has extensive clinical supervision and research supervision experience. Specializing in phenomenology, grounded theory, fenomenography, narrative inquiry, and arts based research, Heidi has supervised over 50 postgraduate/masters-level theses and research papers in 7 different Universities in Europe and North-America. She has been the external examiner/public opponent of ten doctorate dissertations, and served as an external examiner of CIHR, Canada, several scholarly journals, and other Universities’ arts therapy programmes, i.e. U of Hertfordshire and the Irish World Academy.
Heidi has published widely in psychotherapy, group analysis, and music therapy topics. Her books include:
- Group Analytic Music Therapy.Gilsum. NH. Barcelona Publishers. (2007)
- Musiikki—Sanaton kieli. Musiikkiterapian perusteet. [Music—language without words. The basics of music therapy]. Finnlectura Oy. HKI.,3. prints. (2000/1992)
- Samalle aaltopituudelle—kohtaaminen musiikin avulla. [To the same tune—meeting in the musical world]. Kirjayhtymä oy. Hki. (1999)
- ”Musiikillinen dialogi” ja muita musiikkiterapeuttientyöskentelytapoja ja lasten musiikkiterapian muotoja.[Musical dialog and other working methods of music therapists and forms of music therapy for children]. Doctorate thesis. University of Joensuu. Faculty of Education. N:o 45. Joensuu University Printing House. (1998)
- Löytöretki itseen. [Exploring oneself. Music, picture and movement as a tool of self expression and insight]. Musiikki, kuva ja liike itseilmaisun välineenä ja itsetuntemuksen lisääjänä.Kirjayhtymä Oy. HKI. 2. prints. (1994)
- Taide Psykososiaalisen työn välineenä.[Arts as a tool of psychosocial work]. (Heidi Ahonen-Eerikainen Ed.). PohjoisKarjalan Ammattikorkeakoulun julkaisu sarja A/2, opetushallitus.Raamattupaino, Pieksämäki2. prints. (1994)
Undergraduate Courses – None
Graduate Courses – MU505, MU507, MU606
For a more detailed biography of Dr. Heidi Ahonen, please see http://www.wlu.ca/homepage.php?grp_id=1169&ct_id=1018&f_id=29